Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

Project Gmail Host -take the challenge of this old man

Recommended Posts

Quite interesting. Cool challenge. But I think this would not work. Why I say so? This is because if this were possible, Google would go burst. I'm sure Google hires experts to help prevent this from happening. Furthermore, the storage space is most likely share resource, which means the space might not be there.Despite saying this, I would stick to this thread and see how it goes. I might be proven wrong.-Shackman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that evilguru is working on zip attachment files. I tried mpg file and it showed up as decoded text strings (no streaming or downloading mpg file). Perhaps it's in the libgmailer somewhere to tell how to handle such files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem itself is not with libgmailer, but with how the browser handles appliction/xxxx streams, as these can not be 'shown' in the browser so it takes to download them. With a zip file it will download it under the name gmail.php and if you have any text-editors associtated with .php files it will try to open it in them (as it thinks it is downloading a .php file due to the extension .php). I believe there are ways to get past this problem and am looking into them. The same is true of mpg files.

 

I have just added support for different users, but it is still in very early stages. If you would like to use it go to:

http://www.dcrez.co.uk/create/gmail/account.php and 'create' an account (in which the information is added to a MySql database), then to view it you can do http://www.dcrez.co.uk/create/gmail2.php?id handle>&q=<subject of email> where <your handle> is the handle of the account you created and <subject of email> is the subject of the conversation in which to read the first attachment from. Still got a fair bit of work to do on it however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everybody :P I have now added zip support to the system. The solution was quite simple, if the type of the attachment is application/zip then send the file out as:

an octet-stream and explicitly specify the filename. The bad news is that for every type of file which the browser can not handle I need to set up to use an octet stream. Might be faster to only not do it for certian file types, we will see. The code for it is:

if ($conv->conv[$id]["attachment"][0]["type"] == "application/zip") {	header('Content-type: application/octet-stream'); 	header('Content-Disposition: inline; filename="' . $conv->conv[$id]["attachment"][0]["filename"] . '"');}else {	header('Content-type: ' . $conv->conv[$id]["attachment"][0]["type"]);}
Works on firefox, ie and opera (only ones I have). You can integrate it yourself, or wait for the new version which will have full datatbase user support as well as bandwidth limits (daily limits) which will allow people like me to provide a 'public' version of the service.

You can see it here: http://www.dcrez.co.uk/create/gmail/gmail2.php?id=test&q=zip

FYI, gmail2.php is the user accounts version, which uses a database and it just happens that my chosen 'handle' for my project.website@gmail.com account is 'test'.

Regards, Freddie (aka EvilGuru).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dammit, I though Google was going to offer hosting with like 2gbs of space. Boy was I wrong.

 

darn, minsleading title.

153393[/snapback]

Well read back, this is about using your gmail account as a webspace! This would be an unofficial gmail host if you want to see it like that, and its looking great in my eyes :P Evilguru did a cool job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am unsure at this point if google took an interest on this thread or they decided to secure their mail server even further...but after confirming with Klass, this project is basically terminated!After 30 minutes of unsuccessful attempts with evilguru's ingenious scripts, the Project Gmail Host came to a halt when the script no longer provides an access to files. Well, it's good to know that someone has accomplished what others thought out to be a ridiculous and impossible mission. And that someone was right here in Xisto! Furthermore, be proud (especially evilguru) that we may have helped (?) google from some unnatural security breach. You're welcome, google. Thanks for nothing! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not dead yet! Every few months Gmail changes how their XMLHTTPRequest packets are sent, and the JavaScript that parses them, this is often done to add new features to the system, and to improve elements of it, this is normal. However, sometimes some of these changes can break the code from libgmailer (and the .net parser which it is ported from). I am not sure when this update happend, I was only told about it in the last 20 min. The fix is simple, I just had to update the version of libgmailer to the newest version on sourceforge and make a couple of small changes. You can find the new version of libgmailer.php here: http://www.dcrez.co.uk/create/gmail/libgmailer.zip Just upzip it and then replace the current version of libgmailer.php with the new version from the zip file. My online version has been updated, and I have almost finished the new version off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a side note, I do not think that google will ever be able to stop this, as if they change their javascript packets etc we are still able to access Gmail using POP3 (php imap functions will do the job), and that was my original plan, to use my own POP3 lib to access the account but then libgmailer turned up and made my job a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this